Advertisement

Phrasal Verbs: Looking Forward To - Definition and Examples

Phrasal Verbs: Looking Forward To - Definition and Examples - Learn how to use the common phrasal verb - look forward to - in this English lesson from tofluency.com.

//////// TRANSCRIPT ////////

Hello, this is Jack from to fluency.com, and in this English lesson, we're going to have a look at the phrasal verb: look forward to. Now, this is a great phrasal verb to know because it is used all the time in everyday English.

So, let's have a look at an example where I used the phrasal verb
here on YouTube. So, we're going to go to to Europe in two weeks -
as of this recording - and I can say, for example, I'm really looking forward to my holiday but I'm not looking forward to the journey.

In the video I said, "So we're going to go to Europe in two weeks... I'm really looking forward to my holiday but I'm not looking forward to the journey.
Look forward to something means to be excited about something, so, I was excited about my holiday but wasn't excited about the journey.

The reason I wasn't looking forward to the journey was because it was very long... I was traveling with my son; we had to change planes;
we had to take a train, also. So, it was a difficult journey that's why I wasn't looking forward to it. Let's have a look at more examples now using this phrasal verb.

He's looking forward to starting his new job. In this example, we're using a verb after the phrasal verb, and when we do that, we use the gerund: starting.

I'm looking forward to going to the beach next week. So, again,
we're using the gerund: going. I'm looking forward to the beach. Now, this is very similar to the last example except in this one, we're just using the noun. We're not looking forward to it so in context "it" can be anything, but we use this a lot when we want to use a pronoun
instead of the noun. We're not looking forward to it.

So, my question for this video is this: what are you looking forward to?
So, what, at the moment, are you looking forward to? Leave your answers below this video, thanks for watching and I'll see you next time!

----------

Please share this video if you found it useful. Thanks.

Here is the article on this topic:

See all my phrasal verb lessons here:

Subscribe on YouTube:

Facebook:
Twitter:
Google+:

Phrasal Verb,look forward to,looking forward to,looking forward to doing something,jack from to fluency,to fluency,look forward to definition,looking forward to meaning,ESL,EFL,free english class,leccion de ingles,english lesson,ingles gratis,clase de ingles,tutor de ingles,escuela de ingles,ingles en linea,English lesson,English teacher,англи́йский,inglês,angielski,engleză,anglicky,αγγλικά,anglais,inglese,Englisch,free,

Post a Comment

0 Comments